Sunday 3 January 2016

New Year. New Beginnings

I always felt a bit odd when New Years' Eve comes around.

Maybe it's because as a teacher my personal New Year has always been in September when I started classes or teaching piano. Growing up, I was quite confused that we started a new year in the middle of the year. I knew calendars started with January and ended with December, but it just didn't make any sense to me.

Another thing that never made sense to me was New Years' resolutions. Goals that were set, that many tried to keep and ultimately failed at doing.

New Years' eve this year was relaxing, spent with my in-laws and a family from church. We got fireworks going, played board games, and watched movies until midnight. It's a stark contrast from the many New Years eve parties that were advertised on Facebook, the radio and TV...but it was perfect. No crazy big countdown, no heels- just my husband (!! I am still not over calling him that and it's been 6 months), sweatpants, my in-laws. a good cup of tea and a movie. Dec 31st quietly turned into Jan 1st.

This past year has been a year of changes, the biggest one being that I got married!



I also went from working 3 part-time jobs to none to 2 part-time jobs (one of which I am self-employed), moving from a suburb to a small town and living 7 hours away from my parents.
All of these changes were monumental changes for me, and in the span of 6 months since I've been married they've led me to meeting great people, working great jobs and feeling much more content than I had been in years!

2016 is just a number, a year. I'm hoping this year will follow the greatness of last. I haven't set any resolutions for myself.....mostly because I know I won't keep them. I have vague goals I want to work towards but they're goals that have been in motion since I decided my career path.

Readers, tell me- have you set any resolutions?

Happy New Year!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment