Monday 18 November 2013

Choconut-Cinnabon Bread Pudding

Two posts in a day! This is called trying to catch up, which I am not adept at doing.

A few weeks ago, I went out for my birthday with a few friends. I split a dish of chocolate bread pudding with a friend...and it was the most delicious bread pudding I have ever had.

Birthday girl with birthday bread pudding!

Until I had another craving and decided to make my own.

I made this under the guise of sharing with friends, but I still had half a dish leftover for myself!

I searched for easy recipes, because I had never made bread pudding by myself, and came across this one from The Kitchn-Coconut Milk Bread Pudding

As an avid fan of coconut milk (I always have at least one can in the pantry at any given time), I thought this bread pudding sounded delicious....except for the fact that I didn't have candied ginger, pistachios or jaggery. However, I did have chocolate chips, chopped walnuts and brown sugar. I also had Cinnabon bread. The combination of them all sounded delicious to me!

I followed the cooking directed of the recipe, but used my own substitutions

Choconut-Cinnabon Bread Pudding (adapted from The Kitchn, serves 6-8)

Ingredients:
butter-flavoured cooking spray
6-7 slices Cinnabon Bread, toasted and torn into bite-size pieces
1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but oh so delicious!)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (to keep it dairy-free, use carob chips instead of chocolate chips)
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
3 large eggs
3/4 brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt


  • Preheat oven to 325°.
  • Spray a 9x7 or 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the bread pieces in the dish and evenly sprinkle the walnuts and chopcolate chips on top.
  • In another bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt.
  • Pour the coconut milk mixture over the bread, pressing down with a spoon or fork to make sure all the bread gets soaked.
  • Bake for 45 minutes or until set. The center should spring back when lightly touched.
  • Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment