Monday 17 March 2014

Creamy Creme Brulee and an Avocado Milkshake

One of the perks of teacher's college is that I had a March Break! I relaxed a bit, socialized a bit, and ate a LOT! I also tested out a few recipes, like ricotta pancakes, different homemade juices (I miss having my juicer around) and creme brulee, my absolute a time favourite dessert

I don't know where my obsession with creme brulee came from, but it started when I was young. Maybe it's the subtle elegance of the dessert itself- creamy custard hidden underneath that crackling sugar shell, or the taste of broiled sugar juust a hint more sophisticated than toasted marshmallows. Or maybe it was the fact that I thought of it as a "fancy dessert", one you could only get at a fancy restaurant (read: one that didn't given children toys or colouring books with their meals). In either case, I always thought of it as beyond my reach, something difficult to make with a million steps. I also figured that if it was only served in fancy restaurants, that it had to be unhealthy and therefore not enjoyed at every given moment.

I was wrong. Oh so completely wrong.

It's not hard at all-the only tricky parts were getting a cake pan with four almost-overflowing ramekins of uncooked custard into the oven. It also can be made health-conscious with a few swaps- almond milk, instead of cream, xyitol instead of sugar and using a few less eggs.

I also made an avocado milkshake. I've always loved taking weird food items and making them sweet, and a milkshake is the perfect vehicle. Cool and creamy, with a hint of sweet!

Was this creme brulee perfect? Pretty much!

Cookbooks and milkshakes and brulee, oh my! 


Creamy Almond Creme Brulee(serves 4) 
(adapted from Providence Farms)

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 cups almond milk
13 cup sugar, plus extra for garnishing ramekins- I used brown, and it wasn't as sweet as I would have liked
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla extract (vanilla bean paste looks lovely in plain creme brulee)
1 tsp instant coffee granules


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients except for garnishing sugar
  • Pour mixture evenly into 4 ramekins (the little baking dishes)
  • Slowly put ramekins into a 13x9 baking dish, and fill baking dish with hot water halfway up the sides of the ramekins, being careful to not get into into the ramekins
What the pre-baked ramekins will look like

  • Bake for 50-55 min or until knife inserted into a ramekin comes out clean
  • Take ramekins out of the baking dish and place on a cooling rack. When cool enough, place ramekins in fridge.
  • Whenever you are ready, take ramekins out of fridge and cover with a thin, even layer of sugar. 
  • This is the fun part- if you have a blowtorch, torch the ramekins just until the sugar begins to brown. Alternatively, place ramekins 4 inches under a broiler and broil for a minute.

Avocado Milkshake (serves one)

Ingredients
1/2 ripe avocado
1 cup milk (substitute almond or coconut milk)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar
  • Blend everything together!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment