Wednesday 28 May 2014

#ThriftStyleThursday- I'm a '90s Chick! (I don't care, I love it!)


I've been waiting for the perfect time to throw that song into something, and this week's #ThriftStyleThursday theme was my chance! I inquired with Martyna over at Spoolish about how to join #ThriftStyleThursdays, and now I am a part of it!

When I think of the '90s, I think of my childhood. Being born exactly in 1990, I grew up with some of my favourite TV shows being the Fresh Prince, Saved by the Bell, Boy Meets World (Topanga!!), 7th Heaven and cartoons like Johnny Bravo, Animaniacs, Felix the Cat, Dexter's Lab, and most of my favourite movies involved Disney princesses. The one thing that I remember really clearly about the '90s was SO. MUCH. COLOUR. Neon, crazy patterns, crop tops (which are all over the place now) and denim of every shade.

Being stuck in a fashion slump, I didn't think I'd have much for this week's theme, but then I looked into my closet and pulled out these three items. I remember buying these shorts last summer but never quite having a chance to wear them, and the shirt I got at a Stitches outlet but could never pull together fun, interesting outfits with it.


I love the back of this shirt- unexpected details like that make me happy!

The shoes not pictured in the outfit were actually free, through a university-wide clothing swap on campus this year. I wanted a pair of nice neutral oxfords but didn't want to shell out money at the time, and the next day I went to campus, found out about the clothing swap and ended up getting these! They looked brand new when I got them..I just happen to be really rough on shoes. 



[Shirt,Stitches -$3] [Shorts, H&M- $5] [Shoes, Ardene-free through clothing swap]

(PS: I know that technically I posted this on a Wednesday night, but I didn't want to forget!)

For some more takes on this week's thrifty theme, check out these lovely ladies!


 Aligator Toe  Being Zhenya  Bethie the Boo  Buttons and Birdcages   Confessions of a Refashionista  Eclecticity  Erika’s Style Diary  Lipstick and Yarn  Muddy Flowers  Rachel’s Lookbook ❇ Sandpaper Kisses  Sincerely Miss J  Sistas From Cali Slight Impression Snippets with Alex ❇ Spoolish That Cheap Bitch  The Two Cent Chick 

8 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome! I can't wait to share my look! I hope you stop by and check it out!
    ~Zhenya
    http://beingzhenya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so excited to see what everyone is putting together for the 90's!

      Delete
  2. YAYYYYY! Welcome to TST girl! You did such a great job with this. I especially love the back of the shirt. And all the TV shows you mentioned...so much nostalgia! Looking forward to more of your looks :)

    Justine from thetwocentchick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you!
      I may or may not have been watching Boy Meets World today...I love that show waaaay too much!

      Delete
  3. Super cute! Welcome to TST!

    Erika
    http://erikasstylediary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Thrift Style Thursdays! This outfit is way cute and fun and I love the top paired with these shorts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not normally a colour person, but this is growing on me!

      Delete